Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Landon

We had four precious Sabbaths together and a few hours in the middle of one week.  During those moments I learned to love this sweet, brown-eyed three-year-old, with the quick laugh, and enough pep to provide green energy to an moderate sized city.  Landon was a foster child; he had a few weeks to spend away from home while caring people attempted to find a place where he could safely and happily spend the rest of his growing up years.  He was a part of my Sabbath School for a few weeks.  I didn't have him long.  Only long enough to see the longing he had for Jesus.  Only long enough to hear his cute clever sayings.  Only long enough to have him recognize me and call my name excitedly when he arrived at church.  Only long enough to feel his soft arms around neck and his small head lean trustingly on my shoulder.  Only long enough to love him. 

It wasn't long enough to teach him all the little songs that would have brightened his life and the life of the daddy he went home to.  It wasn't long enough to teach him the ins and outs of the plan of salvation.  It wasn't long enough to make him into the man I hope he will someday be.  But it was what I had.

Now he is gone and I am left with memories, an empty chair in Cradle Roll, a mind full of questions, and a heart full of wishes. 

What will he remember?  Will he remember the love he had for the sanctuary felt on the board?  Will he ever come to understand it's significance?  Will remember the stories he learned?  Will he remember the lessons in reverence and obedience I tried to instill?  Perhaps not.  I hope he remembers that someone named Jesus loves him.  I hope he associates words like "heaven," "Sabbath," "Jesus," and "salvation"with warm smiles, walks in the field, and the love I tried to communicate to him.  Maybe that all I could do. 

I don't have answers.  Perhaps it isn't worth loving and teaching when there is so little that can really be done.  I think it is.  That's why I do it.  If it is just for a moment, I will love a child for Jesus.  Maybe it won't be enough.  Maybe the world will claim Landon as it's own.  That will not change that for a few weeks of his life someone tried to show him Jesus. 

O Friend of little children,  You who have given and loved so much,  You understand what I am trying to say.  You know longing I have to see this little boy know You.  Please, put your arms around him.  Lead him to you.  Take these few seeds that his foster parents and his church have planted and let them bear fruit. 

Goodbye Landon,  I hope to play with you in the perfect land very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment